Journal 1

We have been in Belize for almost two days. The first day was full of travel to get from home to San Pedro. After landing in Belize City, we took a taxi to get to the water taxi. The taxi ride was rather interesting and seemed as if there wasn't a care in the world as to how the driving was going as long as we made it to our destination on time.

Once we arrived at the water taxi, we had time to spare so we decided to eat lunch. I think that I was scared to immerse myself in cultural food, so I ended up getting just a cheeseburger. The food was wonderful as well as the service we received. We finished eating and got onto the water taxi. The boat was much smaller than I expected, but not a bad ride. It was 1:30 in the afternoon, so I feel like that was a busy time for the water taxi and they try to get as many people on the boat as possible. Once on the boat, we knew it was about an hour and a half trip, so it was a good time to lean on our bags and get a bit of a nap in.

We arrived in San Pedro a little after 3. We had to go around and search for our luggage, but once we got that we were able to get to Pedro's Inn and get settled down. Being that it's very hot, we decided to slip into bathing suits and go straight to the pool and cool off. The rest of the day was very laid back with laying out by the pool, driving around town to get a feel, stop by the grocery store to get a few things, and having a wonderful dinner. After dinner, we all came back to the room and laid down. We were all asleep before 8 that night.

Since we all went to sleep so early, we woke up rather early. We decided to make it a fairly easy day as well. We woke up, went to the pool for a few hours, went back to the room for a little nap, and went down to the resort. We made the most of our afternoon down at the resort. We spent the afternoon in hammocks, on the trampoline, waterslide, and the zip line. We left the resort and decided we would go out and find something good for dinner. We were not able to get bikes yet, so we walked around the town to see what good places we could find. I love that the restaurants encourage you to look at the menu before going in. We saw a few places, and we found a little place called Caroline's Cooking. I had never tried tostadas before, and when I did, I absolutely loved them!

Today, we woke up and went to the Ministry of Education and got together a few things for our mock classroom. We went down to the store to get more supplies, and I know that I felt like a kid in a candy store (I guess that's just a teacher thing). Once we got back to the building, we started breaking things down and setting a few things up, and I immediately fell in love with the task and started getting all these ideas to initiate learning in the classroom. I can't wait to see how things go the rest of the time that we are here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Reflection

Week 3 Reflection

Week 4 Reflection